Moderating new users?

Gorf

Is there any chance new users can be moderated? I've had to disable the popup for new PMs because it knackers the morning routine when I'm being spammed by PM.

Don't mind having the daily string of tabs interrupted by a genuine PM because it doesn't happen often...

Gareth

Gorf

...is it bad form for an admin to just delete all the PMs sent to other members by new users who've been banned for spamming at their first visit?

Booth

Chief Bar Steward
Cast & Crew
Gorf said:
Is there any chance new users can be moderated? I've had to disable the popup for new PMs because it knackers the morning routine when I'm being spammed by PM.
Don't mind having the daily string of tabs interrupted by a genuine PM because it doesn't happen often...

Gareth
We wouldn't want to do that as it may put genuine people off becoming a member. Due to the way this software is being supported we're switching to different software over the next couple of months which has much better spam prevention. If that still doesn't work then we'll probably set up a new usergroup that must post X amount of forum posts before being allowed to use the pm system.

Gorf said:
...is it bad form for an admin to just delete all the PMs sent to other members by new users who've been banned for spamming at their first visit?
No, not if the private messages are being reported by several members as spam. And especially if they contain links which may be malicious.

Also they aren't new users. They are spam-bots which bulk spam many hundreds of forums at a time.

Can't wait till we switch the site, it's getting annoying :mad:

Gorf

It's not a huge deal - it just means that my normal morning routine (dilbert, telly pages, yahoo email, please sheep, accyweb etc) are interrupted by something which I don't care about. It would be interrupted by a genuine PM too, but I can cope with those...