Dead Man's Cards: what the critics have to say...

angel clare

Standard Member
The other thing is exactly what you say Chris. When the real heavy hitters love a film or a book you know you have arrived. The work that I published was not always popular with the minor leaguers, but when I started to get in with the really top guys who really knew the lay of the land, I knew I was pretty good.

I am sure DMC is pretty good. But we know you are good anyway from your Corrie stuff, which went totally against your usual characters, but was still, well, the best gay character ever in soap. Brilliantly realised. And thanks. :)

Kevin

Joanna

Okay...hope I'm alright to link to this :eek: o_O :eek: ...next we have a review from Time Out London :eek: .....moving very swiftly on..... o_O :confused:

However, I've also found some very positive DMC reviews.... :)

Firstly, we have a 'movie of the week' review from Maxim! Yay, that's more like it! :D And it gets a rather good 4 out of 5. :)

There is also a competition on the site to win 2 signed DMC posters...don't know who they are signed by, though! And if you click on any of the 3 DMC pics on the page, it gets enlarged into a gallery with the other 2 pics.

They also have a trailer and a couple of clips. The second clip is the same as clip 1 from HERE, but clip 1 isn't the Chris clip, though...it is an extended version of the scene there was a clip of on Film 2006 (the one where Tom and Paul are stood outside Billy's Bar....and warnings...it is very violent). And on the DMC trailer/clips page, the film is also called 'terrific'. Yay! :D

Then there's a great review over at Female First, which calls it an 'impressive debut feature' - also making clear that it is an independent film that has been locally funded.

And the review ends like this....

The performances in DEAD MAN'S CARDS - particularly from the recently departed Tom Bell, the grossly under-rated Paul Barber and newcomer James McMartin - are hugely impressive and first-time director James Marquand is clearly a talent to keep an eye on..... :)

You can also watch the trailer on the site, too.

Over at Eat My Brains! :p , there is a hugely positive write-up of the film. However, lol, it seems to be almost a complete copy of the Female First review! :p

On the same site, you can also watch the trailer and 4 clips. The 4th clip is one I haven't seen before....and the 2nd clip is Chris's scene! :D

Over at Pearl & Dean, there isn't an actual review, but, on their DMC page, it seems that visitors to the site have been rating the film. And its average rating? 5 stars out of 5! :) See, 'we' know it makes sense! ;) :D

xx Joanna xx

Fran

Thanks for the new reviews Joanna. :)

I think the difference in the ones we've seen seems to show there are people who really love it and those who were expecting something different to what they saw.

The ones that give good reviews, seem to give really good ones and equally the ones that find something wrong with it, get quite mean! Like I said before, I'll decide for myself. It's not the kind of film I'd normally go to see, I'm not very good at enjoying films with a lot of violence in them, but, even if the violence is a bit much for wimpy me, it doesn't mean I'd say the whole thing is crap.

I think if your job is to review something, you have to be able to stand back from personal likes and dislikes and judge it on how well 'it' and the characters portray the story it's supposed to be telling. Even then, two people could watch the same film and come away with different opinions. If one loves it and one hates it, it doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong.

For instance, Angie quite enjoyed TIP and thought the critics were harsh, and I found it mind numbingly boring (apart from one bit.. ;) ) - but that doesn't mean I'm right and she's wrong, it just means we like different things and are perhaps looking for different things in what we watch. The time to worry about bad reviews is when they're ALL bad and all give the same reasons for not liking it. Like they say, you can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people, all of the time. :)

Chris Finch

Fragmental
Cast & Crew
Hi everyone!

Here is something I think you will all be interested in. The director of DMC has been dropping by these very forums and wanted me to pass on this letter to you all...

"Dear Pleased Sheep, Thanks for your interest in "Dead Man's Cards." As you have noticed the press coverage has been largely pro the film but interesting to say the least. The film opens on its small theatrical release tonight so please go see for your self and take as many of your pals with you as you can. (For screens and times check www.deadman'scards.com) Generally speaking people get what we were doing and love it or refuse to have an open mind about our attempts at adding heart soul and realism to a tired genre and hate it! Oh yeah and Chris Finch is wonderful by the way. I congratulate you on casting him and look forward to working with him again soon myself."

Best,

James Marquand

(Director)

Joanna

Ah, how lovely! Thanks, Chris and James. :)

Chris Finch said:
Oh yeah and Chris Finch is wonderful by the way. I congratulate you on casting him and look forward to working with him again soon myself."Best,

James Marquand

(Director)
Care to elucidate, Chris? :p :)

xx Joanna xx

LovelyLaura

Thanks for all the reviews and links etc Joanna :)

They seem to be very favourable towards the film overall, which is great to see!

The letter from James Marquand is lovely too, thanks Chris :)

It seems like we've been waiting ages for the film to be released so it's great to have all this info and news about it now!

Unfortunately, it's not showing anywhere near me at the moment :( I doubt it'll get a release in Colchester! :):p (we get completely RUBBISH films here....and when we do get decent ones, they only stay for a week or so! Except Harry Potter, yay! :) )

Joanna

Ah, hope there isn't too long a wait for a DVD release, then, with it playing nowhere near you, Laura.

I might...only might :p .....be able to get to see this tonight, btw. If I do, I'll you know what I think of it on my return! ;) :eek:

xx Joanna xx

Fran

Chris Finch said:
Hi everyone!Here is something I think you will all be interested in. The director of DMC has been dropping by these very forums and wanted me to pass on this letter to you all...

"Dear Pleased Sheep, Thanks for your interest in "Dead Man's Cards." As you have noticed the press coverage has been largely pro the film but interesting to say the least. The film opens on its small theatrical release tonight so please go see for your self and take as many of your pals with you as you can. (For screens and times check www.deadman'scards.com) Generally speaking people get what we were doing and love it or refuse to have an open mind about our attempts at adding heart soul and realism to a tired genre and hate it! Oh yeah and Chris Finch is wonderful by the way. I congratulate you on casting him and look forward to working with him again soon myself."

Best,

James Marquand

(Director)
Nice of James Marquand to show his appreciation, thanks Chris. :)

Oh yeah and Chris Finch is wonderful by the way.

As if we didn't know that already.. :rolleyes: :)

and look forward to working with him again soon myself."

Can't wait to find out what this bit means! Fingers crossed it's a role that gives you an opportunity to show off your acting skills to the full!

angel clare

Standard Member
It's great to see such positive stuff going on here with regard to DMC and to Chris's reputation.

Good point Fran about reviewers. They often either really like something or just want something to be something other than what it was intended to be. Oh, well.

Kevin

Joanna

Lol, Chris 'special feature' Finch! ;) :D Another nice lil bit of Finchy promo, methinks! :p :) James McMartin should have been listed, too, though. :mad: :eek:

xx Joanna xx

Strawbs

Chris Finch said:
yeh i guess it's wrong of me to stereotype an entire readership but perhaps that's what the reviewer did, hence why it was given a weak review. or maybe it was just her opinion...which i suppose she is entitled too!I just get a little annoyed sometimes when people who write reviews have absolutley no idea how hard it is to actually make a feature film. it's a major slog that goes on for months and months! DMC was ultra low budget but still looks great and has made it into cinemas and that is to be commended.

But then i suppose that a film is reviewed on its merits as a form of entertainment and not on its journey to the screen. BUT someone who is criticising someone elses art (positive or negative) should be highly qualified and knowledgeable about the medium before they are in a position to pass judgement. You might say that they dont need to be and they are reviewing the film as if they were 'an average punter' but then in doing that is the reviewer making assumptions about their own readership or is it simply their own opinion be it informed or uninformed.

Anyway whatever the reviewers reason for the negative criticism they should know that George Lucas loved it and he is a millionaire so he has some idea of what is good and bad (save jar jar binks). I will take George's word over a NOW reviewer anyday!!
It's the nature of the beast to put up with bad reviews as well as enjoy the ones that give praise. Sean Lock once said in an interview that it's better in the end not to read any reviews, because if you read a good one then you believe it but if you read a bad one then, by the same token, you have to believe it too. Ultimately it'll do your head in whether it's good or bad. The few scant pieces of writing I've put out there have largely been well recieved but I wouldn't automatically think that meant I or the writing I'd done was good. I'd still be proud of it but you have to take any review with a pinch of salt. As long as you're happy with the work you've done, then a 'professional' review is only a sideshow.

Having said that, the power of a good review can be far reaching as, let's face it, reviews are not for the film makers they're for the audience. It's especially vital for a low budget film like DMC which is on limted release. Laura (and Angie as I remember), for instance, was adament she wouldn't be going to the cinema to see DMC back at the start of the year after seeing the trailer, but now it's had some good reviews she's a bit sorry now that she might miss it. Those good reviews can bring in an extra audience so the odd bad one just has to be put up with along the way.

Strawbs

LovelyLaura

Strawbs said:
Laura (and Angie as I remember), for instance, was adament she wouldn't be going to the cinema to see DMC back at the start of the year after seeing the trailer, but now it's had some good reviews she's a bit sorry now that she might miss it.
DMC really isn't my usual sort of film, hence why I wasn't keen on going to see it on its release (preferring to rent it out when released on DVD), but the reviews have no bearing on why I'm now wanting to go and see it at the cinema. It turns out that my friend from childhood wants to see it and we are planning a night out soon to catch up, so we thought we'd go together.....she's twisted my arm! :):p Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's coming anywhere near us though :(

Joanna, can't wait to hear all about your viewing of it tonight!

angel clare

Standard Member
Oo, for myself I am a reviews slag. If I see a good review I just have to go and see the film, even if the trailer did not grab me. I am also a celebrity slag. If I have seen someone is, say, Corrie, and I am a bit of a fan, oo I just have to go and see any film he is in even if only for five minutes.

Go DMC! Go BS (because even though it isn't made, I just know that it will be great because Chris is in it.

Call me shallow if you like, but I think I am deep. o_O

Kevin

Joanna

Well, I've been and seen DMC tonight....so....*ahem*

Lol, got to the cinema with loads of time to spare, but ended up with not a lot of time to spare before the film actually started....just outside the main cinema entrance, inside this gigantic complex I was in, there were a couple of bouncer-looking types....and it turns out that were promoing DMC to people before they entered the cinema! One of the guys gave me a load of DMC promo cards....and no, they aren't all for me ;) .....and also his last DMC poster! I stood chatting to him (with a hovering...and lovely...Corey Price, also helping out with DMC promo...managed to get a few words out of him!), and quickly found that he was Lea Michael Walton, who was DMC's main lighting guy, and also had a non-speaking cameo as "Romeo's oppo" (about 20 minutes in and...ohh err....say no more!!) in the film! So, we chatted about DMC, the very talented Paul Barber (who is a friend of Lea's, and who Lea has been trying to tempt down to Birmingham for the showing), the next Stray Dogs feature, 'Carve Up' (which Lea and Corey will be involved with in behind-the-scenes capacities...and which it was hoped to film in Birmingham but funding has been a prob, so it will probably shoot in Manchester now!), a little about the sort of work he has done in the past and what he wants to be more involved with, and I got a plug in for Pleased Sheep and these very forums...and he knows about this thread and to look out for my thoughts on the film!

He told me that he never met Chris but he was heavily involved with the filming for the day he was on set. He was responsible for the lighting and was lugging equipment up the roof of the abandoned Terrortorial Army base that it was filmed in, rigging everything up, etc...etc.... He said how it was freezing and pouring with rain, and it was a very arduous day for him...no wonder he had no time to meet Chris!

Lea was a great guy and it was wonderful chatting to him about his experiences with the film, etc....Thank you, Lea! *mwah* :)

Right, the DMC screening room.....well, I got into the cinema, with the trailers most of their way through....and guess how many people I saw in the screening room? Guess? Lower? No...lower...lower....no, lower...keep going....no, you're not quite there yet....nah, lower....2 people? :eek: 2 PEOPLE!! :mad: :eek: The film's opening night in Birmingham and only 3 people turned up to see it.....argghhh! That's awful....I didn't expect a full house, but I expected at least a few more than this! :eek: And no more people turned up, either! On the plus side, it meant I basically had my pick of the seats, and wouldn't have to worry about an 'annoying' audience spoiling it for me. :):p

Then came problem number 2 (it gets far better...trust me!)....the screening room didn't appear to be properly soundproofed, as, throughout the entire film, I could hear the sound of this other movie playing over the top of DMC. :mad: :eek: Sometimes it wasn't really noticeable and went out of my mind, as there was only so much of this other movie you could hear, but when the soundtrack from it was on....sigh!

Now, the film itself. What did I think of it? Well, I thought it was great; I really did! :) And it gets off to a great start, too, with a striking 'boxing contender' pre-title sequence.

In terms of the acting, Paul Barber (playing, er, Paul!) was outstanding and gave the best performance of the movie for me....sorry, Chris, but he were fabulous, and there wasn't so much to go on with your cameo part...excuses...excuses! :eek: :):p

Coming a close second was Samantha Janus (Tom's wife, Kris), and so it was a shame she was used so little in this, as I thought she gave a very convincing performance in the little we (me and the two *sigh* others there) saw of her. I would of liked to have seen her character fleshed out more, so to speak. I think I would have taken an extra something from the film and her character if this had been the case.

James McMartin (Tom) did very well in his role, too....loved his well-delivered car insurance line!

Chris's acting....BRILLIANT! Well, duhhhh! :D

So, the acting was uniformly solid, though I wasn't left very convinced by Mark Russell's portrayal of Chongi. He didn't have the presence, for me, that the role required. However, maybe others will take from his performance what I didn't.

Chris's scene....well, I thought I'd already seen it all....I hadn't....not quite, anyway! After we have Teddy Bear screaming, I thought that Chris's part in the movie was completely over, but the next scene it cuts to takes place near the door of the room of Chris's main scene. You can see those who had attended Teddy Bear's class leaving, and so then we see him stood there watching them leave...and no doubt exchanging unheard pleasantries...I think he was also trying to hand out something to each of them, but I'm not sure on that one! You just get several of him here, and he has no more dialogue to speak! Really loved his appearance in DMC, though....loving your very convincing scream, Chris! :D

The film as a whole....

Well, with it being ultra violent, filled with lots of swearing and very 'non-happy', shall we say, it isn't necessarily the sort of film that I would be drawn to, but I'm glad I was (wonder what started that off, then! ;) ), as it was a really 'enjoyable' film....though 'enjoyable' isn't strictly accurate, given the subject matter! I was impressed, anyway!

It was hugely atmospheric, and the film's 'tone' very strikingly made its presence on me. Matt Whyte, the Director of Photography, deserves a big round of applause at this point for how he brought across the whole 'feel' of the film. *round of applause* And...and I'm not just saying this....Lea's lighting in the film was outstanding. It added greatly to the 'fatalistic' feel to the film, where these are the nasty, dreary lives these characters are living....they seem to have accepted it, and so the audience 'has' to.

As I say, this is a VERY violent film. If you are at all squeamish, then obviously this film may really not be for you! Now, this is the next thing that impressed me...the sound. In this film, A LOT of people get punched...and sometimes punched with a knuckleduster.....and the impact of these punches made me occasionally flinch just a little as the punches felt so close and so 'vivid'.

The original score (which I loved hearing more extensively over the end credits) was fabulous. It has a very Western feel, and the guitar work, in particular, on this was outstanding. However, on one or two occasions, I felt the film would have benefited without the incidential music....it just wasn't really needed in every scene it was in. It was great music, though, so that made it easier to put up with! Hee hee!

There was a moment in this, very near the end, which made me just a teeny teeny bit teary (just a lil!)....then a moment soon afterwards which made me smile. I won't say what these moments were (anyone care to guess once they've seen the film?!) as they would involve major spoilers, but they do both centre on Tom. And they were moments that told me that I had taken something from this character, as, when 'things' happened, it did slightly stir the ole emotions.

There was also a brief scene in-between these, involving Tom's wife, Kris, which I won't say its content, for those who are yet to see this, but I wasn't sure it should of been included. Not entirely sure why, but it just seemed a bit superfluous and 'Hmmm'!

Now, I obviously don't know the makers' intentions for this film, but what struck me was how even though the film had an air of violence, hopelessness and weary gloom to it, what was impressed on me at the end of the film was something different. It was like the film's characters lived lives not to be aspired to or influenced by, and not lives that you want for yourself...so it sort of gives you a feeling, as the film ends, of having just a little more hope, if you like, for yourself. You feel more 'spirited'. These aren't necessarily lasting feelings, but, if you watch the credits roll, they are there in these moments. Love it!

In terms of the direction....well done, James Marquand! It was clean (unlike any of the film's characters or actions!), nicely paced, and made for a great debut into feature directing.

End credits....as I say, loved listening to the score over this....and LOVED reading 'Teddy Bear' and 'Chris Finch' in the credits too! His name was quite a way down the list, but it worth waiting for! Saw Lea's name there, too!

And still on endings, I obviously won't give DMC's ending away here, but I will say that it was quietly effective. It isn't, maybe, what you may hope for (depends what you hope for, I guess!), but it works nonetheless.

Film highlights:

+ Chris's appearance...and his screaming! Well, this had to come first, didn't it? :D :):p

+ Paul Barber's wonderful performance.

+ The striking 'tone' that the film immediately establishes, and maintains throughout....aided by wonderful cinematography.

+ The original score.

+ The impact so vividly realised when each person got punched in the face.....especially when Paul whacked people with his knuckleduster on....ouch, that has REALLY gotta hurt!

So, do I recommend you all go and see this film? YES! :D But does this recommendation still hold true for the 'squeamish' amongst you? NO! :D Did I really think it was great? YESSSSSSSS! :D

xx Joanna xx

Fran

Joanna, thanks for a great write up! I almost feel like I was there with you. I might have guessed you'd get to talk to some of those involved with the films production! :D You're getting to be an old hand at it! ;) Well done on finding out some interesting little bits that we wouldn't know otherwise. :)

It's a real shame there weren't many there, but I know from experience how other audience members can annoy you, so like you said, from your point of view, there was a plus side! Perhaps the reason for the low numbers is due to the fact it hasn't had that much publicity as far as the general public's concerned. We know about it and have read a lot about it, cos we went looking for the information because of Chris's part in it, but I know from talking to family and friends, they haven't heard of it...(or they hadn't...they have now.) ;) It got a mention on local tv up here for obvious reasons, but perhaps not further down south.

Oh heck, not for the squeamish, I think I fall into that bracket. :eek: It depends how graphic the blood loss is really. I can watch gory stuff in some circumstances, like in Predator, my interest in the film and the idea behind it, outweighed my squeamishness. I don't think it's going to be in a cinema near me anyway, so will probably have to wait for the dvd, which is maybe just as well, (lots of cushions I can hide behind!) o_O

The important thing is you enjoyed it and I know you well enough to know you wouldn't have said so if you didn't, so that's another tick in the 'good review' box! :) :)

Joanna

What you doing up at this very silly hour, then?! :confused: :D And I'm also asking myself that very question! o_O

Fran said:
Oh heck, not for the squeamish, I think I fall into that bracket. :eek: It depends how graphic the blood loss is really. I can watch gory stuff in some circumstances, like in Predator, my interest in the film and the idea behind it, outweighed my squeamishness. I don't think it's going to be in a cinema near me anyway, so will probably have to wait for the dvd, which is maybe just as well, (lots of cushions I can hide behind!) o_O
Well, it's the punches you have to really watch/listen out for....there are A LOT of them about and you really 'hear' them too...and that's me understating! :p :eek:

Fran said:
The important thing is you enjoyed it and I know you well enough to know you wouldn't have said so if you didn't, so that's another tick in the 'good review' box! :) :)
Yeah, I'm really glad I've seen this now. It's, as you've read, not a film that everyone will 'appreciate', but I thought it was great....so there, Now! :D :mad: :):p

xx Joanna xx

Fran

Joanna said:
What you doing up at this very silly hour, then?! :confused: :D And I'm also asking myself that very question! o_O xx Joanna xx
That sweet innocent looking little doggy on my left, got me up, (as he tends to do about four times a night!:rolleyes: ) cos he needed to...go to the tree in the garden. :p Since I was up, I thought I'd check in and see if you'd got back yet. ;) :)

You've been editing!? Not you! Surely not! :eek: ;) :)

Joanna

Fran said:
You've been editing!? Not you! Surely not! :eek: ;) :)
Ah....and again, btw....but in a very ironic sense this time! ;) *whispers* Look at the post immediately above ya! ;) LOL! :D :eek: :):p

xx Joanna xx