Dead Man's Cards: what the critics have to say...

Joanna

Chris Finch said:
The Cineworld in Bolton is my local flick house. I used to work there when it was a UGC selling tickets, hotdogs and popcorn! Now my dreams are starting to come true as it looks like they will be showing it!
Sorry, Chris. :eek: I've just been onto the Cineworld website and checked which of its cinemas DMC is showing at....It's only showing at the Cineworld in Bristol. Oh bugger! :mad: :eek:

However, on the website you get yet another cast list mention. :)

xx Joanna xx

Joanna

Caught the last five minutes of Film 2006 with Jonathan Ross, and Dead Man's Cards got a mention on it as an upcoming release! :D There wasn't any review (maybe next week!) and there was no Chris either, but, in the brief teaser clips, there was a quick shot from Chris's scene. :)

The programme is repeated on Saturday (1 pm), btw!

xx Joanna xx

Chris Finch

Fragmental
Cast & Crew
Hi Joanna,

Yeh I just caught the DMC bit on film 2006. It made me laugh because my friend Richard (who I think you met in Greenwich) was sat there smiling away in the background! I just text him to congratulate him on appearing on the show before me! LOL

Richard is currently training at LAMDA and I guarantee he will soon be a force to be reckoned with in the acting world!!

Joanna

Yes, I did have the pleasure of meeting him in Greenwich...lovely bloke! :)

Whereabouts in the DMC bit was Richard, just so I can look out for him on the repeat? Oh, and I'm very sure he will, btw! :) Hiya, Richard! :D

xx Joanna xx

PS: BS key facts coming very soon.... ;) :eek:

Chris Finch

Fragmental
Cast & Crew
its the bit where all the bouncers are laughing at me having my ear bitten. He is on the back row and can also be seen in the trailer!

Joanna

Thanks, Chris. *goes off and watches Chris's scene* :D Yay, I've now spotted him! Great stuff! :D :)

Such a shame, though, that DMC is showing in a very select number of cinemas....and none near me, it seems! :eek: Sobs! :eek:

xx Joanna xx

Fran

Thanks Joanna. :) Great to hear the film got a mention! Let's hope they show Chris's clip if they get round to talking about it again. :) Isn't that weird, I was literally thinking about Richard yesterday wondering what he was up to and how he was getting on! :eek: Psychic or what! :confused:

Joanna

In Now's Christmas issue, there is a mini review of DMC (p109)....

Small Brit movie about Liverpudlian bouncers getting in over their heads with local drug dealers. The movie has aspirations it can't reach, but does have the late, great Tom Bell in his last screen role as club owner Billy The Cowboy. With Paul Barber and James McMartin.

The reviewer, Dee Pilgrim, gives DMC a 2 star 'Nothing special' out of 6. :eek:

xx Joanna xx

Chris Finch

Fragmental
Cast & Crew
hmmmm I dont think that NOW readers are exactly the target audience for this film! oh well :mad:

Joanna

Oops, should I edit my last post, Chris? :eek:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing it and I'm sure it'll be fab! :) :p

xx Joanna xx

angel clare

Standard Member
Chris Finch said:
hmmmm I dont think that NOW readers are exactly the target audience for this film! oh well :mad:
Believe you me, as I know from experience, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Heavens above, I read Now from time to time (I have no shame), but I also read The Stage and Sight and Sound.

Cheers:)

Kev

Chris Finch

Fragmental
Cast & Crew
yeh i guess it's wrong of me to stereotype an entire readership but perhaps that's what the reviewer did, hence why it was given a weak review. or maybe it was just her opinion...which i suppose she is entitled too!

I just get a little annoyed sometimes when people who write reviews have absolutley no idea how hard it is to actually make a feature film. it's a major slog that goes on for months and months! DMC was ultra low budget but still looks great and has made it into cinemas and that is to be commended.

But then i suppose that a film is reviewed on its merits as a form of entertainment and not on its journey to the screen. BUT someone who is criticising someone elses art (positive or negative) should be highly qualified and knowledgeable about the medium before they are in a position to pass judgement. You might say that they dont need to be and they are reviewing the film as if they were 'an average punter' but then in doing that is the reviewer making assumptions about their own readership or is it simply their own opinion be it informed or uninformed.

Anyway whatever the reviewers reason for the negative criticism they should know that George Lucas loved it and he is a millionaire so he has some idea of what is good and bad (save jar jar binks). I will take George's word over a NOW reviewer anyday!!

Fran

Although it's always nice to see a good review, personally I make up my own mind and I know my friends do too. Reviews are only personal opinions at the end of the day, it depends on what kind of things the writer of the review enjoys as much as anything else. :cool:

(Which, I think is more or less what you just said Chris. ;) )

Chris Finch

Fragmental
Cast & Crew
yep well said Fran!

BTW thanks for my christmas card. it was my first one this year!!

Merry Christmas right back at ya!

Joanna

:eek: Hope I'm okay to post up these negative reviews (as with TIP). You must let me know, Chris, if you'd rather I didn't. :eek:

:eek:

xx Joanna xx

PS: And I also hope you have a very lovely Christmas, Chris. So...Happy Christmas! :D :)

Joanna

I also think that if you are a reviewer of anything that you shouldn't just blindly make criticisms but do your best to back them up with some sort of reason as to why you feel that way.

Anyway, once I've seen it, I think there might be one rather positive review to add to this thread! :D :)

xx Joanna xx

wiggy

The Mastodon
Cast & Crew
just seen it! rubbish, the sound was out of synch, the picture was fuzzy and someone got up to go to the toilet on finchy's scene. also the camcorder guy switched off his camera ten minutes before the end so i don't know how it finished.

oh and nearly forgot to say, it was dubbed in russian:confused:

only joking of course :) looking forward to seeing it and i know how much hard work goes into making a movie as i had to go and get the butties my first day on set of BS and the list was longer than my arm, no tomatoes, no mayonaise, i want ham, i want chicken, if they don't have ham i'm going home :)

angel clare

Standard Member
Chris Finch said:
yeh its fine Joanna don't worry about that. I can take it!! just...
To be honest, when I made my comment about good and bad publicity I had only read the review cursorily and did not see that it was negative. OK Now magazine let's get this clear is b****ks (and I have only bought it twice: cannot say why). But my point remains.

Also. you know anyone who has to be reviewed as most of us do these days in our professions has got to take it. You are definitely making a good point though because reviewing is usually pretty callous and irresponsible. Reviewers are generally complete pratts; they are just journalists really seeking a winning turn of phrase because that is what will please the boss. I know because I have done quite a bit of book reviewing, though I tried to be really responsible. However, in the case of DMC the reviews do seem to be pretty good.

In the end it will help DMS and BS to get good reviews. This is often a matter of luck. What matters is that the film gets to its audience and the long term reputation that it gains. On bad review is not worth the worry.

I know I have been there. :)

Kevin