Finchy Friday - Bar Stewards screen grabs and comments thread...

Booth

Chief Bar Steward
Cast & Crew
Joanna said:
2008, you say... :p :eek: :confused:
xx Joanna xx
Just wanted to come back to this Joanna and an explanation of why the film will take so long to make, at least a partial one anyway.

We are having to shoot the film in small installments, basically it's when we have the time, the props, the cast/crew, the equipment, and the money.

One thing I found from making Bad Lad is that the more script you have done, the longer it seems to take. This is because the scenes you generally leave till last, on a micro budget film at least, are the most difficult ones which either take more time or more money.

Once the film is shot we will then start the post-production period, this includes editing, special effects, music composition, grading and ADR. Luckily on this project I can edit as we shoot. With me being the director and editor it will speed things up slightly.

The grading will take next to no time because Jamie Parry (our colorist who has graded for the likes of Peter Kay, Jeremy Dyson and also did the Michael Jackson Martin Bashir special) is one of the fastest in the country. Not that he's in the Guiness Book of Records or anything, but he should be. Hey and coincidentally I'm told he also graded The Innocence Project.

But one thing that will slow things down is a lengthy, or so I'm anticipating, ADR period in which the actors will re-record every line of dialogue for the movie once more in a controlled environment.

After that you need to get a distributor, and a sales agent to sell the film to the rest of the world. No easy feat.

Hence the '2008' date that we've set ourselves. The good news is that things continue to move so hopefully we can get it out there sometime in 2008.

Of course if anyone has some money to invest and fancy being an Executive Producer for a small film with huge potential, please contact us as it will speed things up considerably.

Joanna

Ah, it was no slight on you at all, Mike. I've got every respect and admiration for all the hard work and time that you, Chris and the others BSers must be putting into the making of this film. I'm just, er, rather looking forward to seeing this film....er, that's all! :p o_O

Would you be able to tell me, though, why ADR is such a necessary part of the whole film-making process? And so what happens to the dialogue as spoken on set since the lines end up re-recorded?

xx Joanna xx

Booth

Chief Bar Steward
Cast & Crew
Joanna said:
Ah, it was no slight on you at all, Mike. I've got every respect and admiration for all the hard work and time that you, Chris and the others BSers must be putting into the making of this film. I'm just, er, rather looking forward to seeing this film....er, that's all! :p o_O
I know, I just thought it was a good opportunity to explain the process.

Would you be able to tell me, though, why ADR is such a necessary part of the whole film-making process? And so what happens to the dialogue as spoken on set since the lines end up re-recorded?
ADR is necessary if the location sound isn't clean. You get lots of unwanted noise, so when cutting from one shot to another the background noise changes from shot to shot. Try watching some of the extras from the Trainspotting DVD to see what I mean.

Also for sound mixing purposes, it's almost impossible to remove some background audio from the dialogue track. Obviously this is a problem should you need to produce a foreign language version. So a track or tracks are created for every element of the soundtrack so new mixes can be created in the future.

Dialogue

Foley

Sound Effects

Music

The dialogue as spoken on set is used as a guide track for the actors when they are reproducing the dialogue in the ADR studio.

Most films are ADR'd, the thing is you just don't know it.

Fran

Thanks for the explanation Mike, most of us have no idea how films come together or what's involved, from what I've already learned in bits here and there, the whole thing seems like a little miracle that it DOES all come together in an end product. If I had the money.....oh well.. if I win the lottery.... but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. o_O

Joanna

Interesting stuff. Thanks, Mike. And so is it just sections of the film that'll end up being ADR'ed for the UK release rather than the film as a whole? So, 'clean' bits of film won't need overdubbing?

xx Joanna xx

Booth

Chief Bar Steward
Cast & Crew
It'll all be ADR'd probably, if it isn't the only way you'll be able to tell the difference between the location dialogue and the re-recorded dialogue is that the re-recorded stuff will sound much better. Hence the probably.

Joanna

Yeah, actually thought that after I made my last post! It's all consistency, I suppose, so all of the film's sound is on one 'level'. And imagine that must be important in terms of how the film 'comes across', too.

xx Joanna xx

LovelyLaura

Thanks for the latest pics Mike! :)

I love the black and white top that Roxanne is wearing, it looks fab! :)

Cop

Making Dreams
Cast & Crew
TinyPic appears to be down at the moment... so I have had to attach these pics

Some mobile phone pics for you here

Fig-Rig.jpg

Group.jpg

Fig-Rig.jpg

Group.jpg

Fig-Rig.jpg

Group.jpg

Joanna

I love mobile phones! They can be, er, fun...or not if you're listening to someone screaming down one on the bus! Thanks, Paul.

Btw, I'm probably just being dense, but who is the woman sat next to Roxie in the second pic? Can't place her at all.

xx Joanna xx

Joanna

Think my last post might be best ignored...ahem... o_O :p

Thanks, Mike!

xx Joanna xx

roxanne gregory

Filthy Mad VIP Rox G
Cast & Crew
ah, i like that picture of the cast. looks so intimate like we been mates for years! and the motley crew pic is great, nice to appreciate the hard work you take for granted. though it looks like michael has a steering wheel!!

Booth

Chief Bar Steward
Cast & Crew
LovelyLaura said:
Thanks for the latest pics Mike! :)
I love the black and white top that Roxanne is wearing, it looks fab! :)
Hope you didn't miss the comment that I've quoted Rox ;)

roxanne gregory said:
ah, i like that picture of the cast. looks so intimate like we been mates for years! and the motley crew pic is great, nice to appreciate the hard work you take for granted. though it looks like michael has a steering wheel!!
The steering wheel is actually a 'Fig Rig'

http://services.manfrotto.com/figrig/

roxanne gregory

Filthy Mad VIP Rox G
Cast & Crew
fig roll, now im confused, it looks nothing like a fig roll. and to lovely laura, thanks for that!! i got it from a lil shop in soho! when i think of the name i will tell you, its online too!!